Our Succession Planning service allows you to transition your business to new ownership in a systematic way should an unforeseen event occur.
Succession Planning will help you evaluate your succession options and define an appropriate process in order to extract the best value from your business when you decide to exit.
The Succession Planning process is a half-day, one on one Succession Planning session where we’ll help you to define your goals and objectives with respect to your eventual exit from your business.
The key outcome of the Succession Planning will be about extracting what you desire from your business. We will start by matching your business goals to your personal goals, which will help you to plan for how you can extract the value that you require to enjoy the lifestyle you wish to lead after you exit your business.
WHY WE DEVELOPED THIS SERVICE
Succession Planning is all about a carefully considered exit strategy that reflects the hard work and capital you’ve invested in your business. We will work with you to ensure that the expectations of all parties are achieved. Some questions to consider when determining whether you could benefit from this service:
- Do you feel your business would be unable to cope without you?
- Do you worry about being able to recover your investment (and more) when you exit?
- Are you concerned about the expectations your family may have for your business?
- Do you have clear expectations and goals for life beyond your business?
- Do you know what’s required to support your lifestyle after you’ve exited your business?
Succession Planning is about clarifying what you want for the future, while taking into consideration business, personal and family expectations.
WHO SHOULD HAVE A SUCCESSION PLANNING SESSION?
All business owners should have a Succession Plan in place. Whether you plan on exiting in three years or 30 years, it’s important to have a plan now. If you answer yes to any of the following questions, we recommend you undertake Succession Planning.
Would you like to:
- Have maximum value from your business to provide for your future?
- Minimise unnecessary stress when you decide to exit your business?
- Avoid compromising your sale price, client relationships and the overall reputation of your business?
- Increase your ability to make effective strategic decisions beyond your departure?
WHAT IS INVOLVED?
You will attend a one on one 4-hour (half day) planning session facilitated by ilumin.
During the session, we’ll work with you to create a concise Succession Plan to guide you through this process. We will help you:
- Determine what you want out of your business.
- Clarify your succession options.
- Identify the key people involved.
- Ascertain the timeline and key milestones for your Succession Plan.
- Clarify the various personal, business, financial, legal, and taxation aspects you need to consider.
- Identify the actions and strategies you need to take to make your objectives achievable.
We will provide you with pre-work, which you will need to complete prior to the Succession Planning session to ensure you identify any issues that need to be discussed. That way we can prepare any information required prior to the session.
WHEN SHOULD I HAVE A SESSION?
If you wish to take a more passive role or sell your business within the next three years, we recommend you start the ongoing Succession Planning process now. The earlier you start, the more likely you are to achieve your goals within the timeframe you set. The longer the planning phase, the more time you have to prepare your business for sale and attract the right successor.
BENEFITS OF A SUCCESSION PLANNING SESSION
- Dedicated time to review your business and determine what you want from it.
- Stimulate strategic discussion around ‘what if’ scenarios.
- Determine a common vision for owners, team members, and successors.
- Establish the challenges and opportunities in your business.
- We will act as an impartial sounding board to help you in the decision-making process.
- Clarify your succession process, defining tasks and actions to maximise your outcome.
- Identify and prioritise key goals and milestones.
- Develop a tool to communicate your Succession Plan with family and other key stakeholders.
- We will encourage you to be accountable for achieving your goals.
- Access our collective wisdom, systems, products, and services.
Finally, Succession Planning provides you with a great opportunity to work ON your business instead of IN your business.
OTHER ADVISORY SERVICES
You may be interested in our other range of accounting services:
FINANCIAL AWARENESS COACHING
Do you need help understanding “The Numbers” and what it all means to your business? Our Financial Awareness Coaching plan will help you manage your cashflow better…
When you are in business it is important that you make time to work on the business rather than in the business.
Cashflow planning is best practice in any business and critical to survival and growth. Setting cashflow targets and regularly monitoring your actual cashflow…
Our Business Planning service will motivate and inspire you into action, set and prioritise long and short-term goals and address the critical issues in your business.
COMPLIMENTARY CLIENT REVIEW
Our business clients receive a free annual review meeting as part of their Annual Accounts Package. This meeting gives you the chance to talk with your accountant …
Do you believe that your business performance and financial results could be better, but your current accountant isn’t supporting you to achieve this?
Do you have absolute clarity around your team’s defined roles and responsibilities? If not it can result in owners wearing too many ‘hats’, meaning less time creating real value for the business.
FINANCIAL RISK REVIEW
Is your business funding your family?
Have you thought about how you or your family would cope financially if something unforeseen happened?